Sunday, December 16, 2012

In Memoriam

Saturday Night Live Cold Opening, December 15, 2012.



Newtown, Connecticut: Twenty dead children, six teachers and administrators killed as well. No doubt I'll have more to say on this tragedy in the days and weeks to come, but for now, this really hits me more as a father of two elementary school age kids than it does an impartial academic. I can write ad nauseum about the sociology of mass murder (which I've researched and taught for over a decade) and have done so many times on this blog over the years.

But this one feels more personal. Too personal.  And while I've laughed so hard I've cried at SNL over the years, I never expected to be moved as much as I was when this segment came on last night. Bravo to the writers and producers for striking exactly the right chord.

No comments: