Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Happy Birthday To Us

So tomorrow 8/16 is our 5th birthday here at TPE. In human years I'd be starting kindergarten, tying my shoes and playing tee ball. In dog years, I'd be starting the back nine.

Reading my first post, I remember this blog originally started out as being more of an appendage to my classes than what it evolved into, which is pretty much commentary on whatever issue of the day gets my goad (and is somewhat related to sociology/criminology). 725 posts, 51,495 unique visits, and 70,800 page views later, all I can is that it's been a great five years.

I've toyed with the idea of letting the blog lapse, as so many of my cohorts have done over the years. With the rise of social networking sites, people posting their every bowel movement on facebook, my own time wasted on twitter, and so on, finding the time to sit down and write a coherent, thoughtful blog post has become increasingly difficult (not to mention work, family, baseball, etc.).

But I'll never give up this blog. When I scan through some of the older posts, I'm actually quite amazed with the some of the writing and in-depth analysis that has been done over the years. It has evolved quite nicely into a resource I often use for my own research.

So, onward and upward. The number of posts may have declined somewhat, but the quality hasn't (the post right below this should be required reading everywhere). I will keep doing what I've been doing: questioning, mocking, lambasting, and praising the power elite in society in the best C. Wright Mills-ian way I can.

See you in the funny papers.

No comments: