Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Dog Days

Humane Society President Says Vick Would Make Great Dog Owner:

Sit. Rollover. Good doggy.

Those are words that Michael Vick apparently doesn't gets to say since a judge temporarily banned him from owning a dog as part of his criminal sentence.

Now, the man who gained infamy for dogfighting is saying publicly that he misses owning them.

"I would love to get another dog in the future," he told a Website called theGrio in an article published Wednesday. "I think it would be a big step for me in the rehabilitation process. I think just to have a pet in my household and to show people that I genuinely care, and my love, and my passion for animals."

"I have been around him a lot, and feel confident that he would do a good job as a pet owner," Wayne Pacelle, president of the Humane Society of the United States, told the AJC Wednesday.
[the sound of crickets chirping]

Weirder, for me anyway, is this:
The convicted dogfighter and former Falcons quarterback is having a stunningly successful season with the Philadelphia Eagles. In addition, he has been touring schools across the country, telling children that he is reformed and that dogfighting is bad.
I get the whole going to schools and talking to teenagers about the dangers of things like drugs, or drinking and driving, or even unprotected sex...things that all teenagers run the risk of being tempted by or experimenting with.

But dog fighting? How many teens are hanging out one day and suddenly "Hey, instead of like going to the mall, you wanna go to a dog fight? I heard they're epic, bro!"

Nothing against Vick. I believe wholeheartedly in the power of rehabilitation and second chances, and the guy is nails this year on the field, having a career season, possibly heading to a showdown with his former teammates the Falcons, many of whose fans still support Vick, wear his gear on Sundays, and so on. He's electric on the field and a joy to watch, so good on him.

But really, a pet owner? Would you let him dog sit for you?

No comments: